Don’t let the title fool you. This writing is not about Jack Bauer, the protagonist from the TV series of the same name. Consider this my bait and switch moment. This essay will be about the number 24, but first let me set the stage.

My “Bottom of the Well” blog prompted lots of reader comments, most of which I received via email. One in particular really resonated with me. It was from someone who has known me for a relatively short time. The note was beautifully written and very encouraging. A thought from that email prompted me to write about the last 24 hours:

I just want to remind you to be in the present and not worry about your hair, weight or whatever that’s pulling on that beautiful mind and heart.

So, let’s give it a whirl. It seemed a rather uneventful day until I spent some time reflecting. Just 24 hours ago I was writing a blog about having breakfast with some of my childhood schoolmates after a long break of not seeing one another. After I wrote that email, I spent time surfing and reading about entertainment in the sixties. I watched YouTube videos and even posted some to my Facebook page. The post about The Beatles first appearance on Ed Sullivan resulted in several friends’ comments about their memories of that February night in 1964.

During one of my computer breaks, my 16-year old grandson, Mark, asked me to trim his hair. Being the good grandma I am, I wasted no time retrieving my hair clippers and scissors and began sculpting and cutting (stop laughing Holly).

A small aside here. My daughter-in-law, Holly, is a fabulous hair stylist. She’s tried to teach me to use hair clippers for cutting men’s hair. Last weekend she saw the fruits of my labor for my baby grandson, Daniel, and I thought she would choke on her dinner. Well, maybe that’s a bit of an exaggeration. Still, it’s not so easy to try to get a 15-month old to sit still.

Back to Mark’s hair cut. After several views in the mirror, he gave me the thumbs up. Whew! Moma is still number one in his book. Actually, he’s too sweet to say otherwise. He was off to play Wii with his grandfather which gave me the opportunity to return to my evening of quiet.

A little while later, another good friend called. Ginny is also a childhood friend. Our parents were close friends and our families spent a lot of time together over the years. Now it’s just us and she is more like another sister than a friend. We don’t spend nearly enough time together, especially during the winter months since she lives in Ontario County and I hate driving in the snow. We chatted for a good long while and caught up on things.

I went to bed uncharacteristically early. Before I went to sleep I pulled one of the books off the stack on my nightstand and tried to read for a while. After several attempts to keep my eyelids open, I gave up and turned out the light. The hum of the room humidifier added just the right amount of white noise to lull me into a deep sleep.

This morning I woke ready and raring to go at 6:00 a.m. What? I’m supposed to be relaxing. I got back in bed and pulled the covers over my head. This chick was getting more snooze time. I fell back into a deep sleep filled with a variety of wild dreams. The next time I woke it was 10:30 a.m.! Now that’s the life. I rose leisurely, pulled on my pink fluffy robe, and headed downstairs for some much-needed coffee. My back was sore from too much sleep. Nonetheless I reveled in my laziness.

I drank my coffee and read the paper in my comfy chair. Life is good on mornings like this. Meanwhile, Mark waited patiently for his favorite omelette and toast. Don’t worry, I didn’t neglect him. He didn’t saunter down until after 11 a.m. His grandfather left for church and the two of us dined at the kitchen bar.

Later today I received a call from my little Anna Rosie. She’s invited to see the new Justin Bieber movie with Ella and me tomorrow. She’s undecided and needs to chat with me about it for a while. She’s five but sometimes she talks like she’s 12! There was no final decision so I guess I’ll check in with her tomorrow morning.

At 3:30 p.m. I decided it was time to shower! Talk about lazy. It was wonderful. I ended the last few hours by attending 5:00 p.m. Mass at Sacred Heart Cathedral. I enjoy being in that church and I love listening to the Halloran organ. The music is loud but the feeling is quiet. It’s hard to explain. I get lost in it. You may recall I wrote about that organ in one of my first blogs, “Joy to the World”

Back home Frank made grilled ham and cheese sandwiches for the three of us. He and Mark left shortly after we ate. They are off to Mark’s house to watch another hockey game. Later tonight, Frank will return home with the two other Dony children, Cameron and Ella. It’s their turn to sleep over Ta and Moma’s.

And so it goes, as my brother always says. Thanks to my friend who reminded me to live in the present. I am out of the well. It’s good to be here. Life is good. My white lilacs are a good reminder that spring is near. Keep the faith!

This entry was posted in In pursuit of quietness and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to 24

  1. acmilan5 says:

    Glad to hear you made it out of the well.

  2. Sondra says:

    “La Dolce Fa Niente–The Sweetness of Doing Nothing!” We all need that every so often! So happy you’re back on land from inside the well! Have a terrific day tomorrow!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s